Thursday, January 20, 2011

Honey Garlic Sauce

On Tuesday we had honey garlic meatballs over rice, and veg.  This honey garlic sauce is so easy, so yummy, and can be used on anything!    I made the meatballs on Sunday night and put them in the fridge.  I hate hate hate rushing home without a plan for supper... the first question I get when I walk in the door is, "what's for supper Mom?"... :)  (and yes, I'm talking about Leigh too)

Honey Garlic Sauce (these measurements subject to change)

Olive Oil
Garlic
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup honey or brown sugar
1/4 cup soya sauce

Heat the olive oil in a pot (size dependant on if you single/double/triple the recipe).  Throw in crushed garlic, how much you use is up to you :).  Saute that for a minute, stirring constantly so the garlic doesn't burn.  Add ketchup, honey or brown sugar and soya sauce.  Stir and let that bubble around gently for a bit.  Now, this sauce is all about your taste.  You can add a little more honey or brown sugar if you like it sweeter, a little more soya sauce if you like it less sweet.  I don't recommend using Kikkoman soya sauce, it makes this very runny and then you have to go and thicken it... and well, that's just silly.  The longer you let this (gently) simmer, the thicker it will be.    I add the (cooked) meatballs and stir to get them good and coated, let that simmer away while you make the rice!  Oh, my mouth is watering...

You can use this sauce on anything you want!  I slow cook ribs and add the sauce at the end on a sheet pan to carmelize, throw in cooked chicken to coat, it is wonderful over rice with vegetables!    I've glazed a pork roast with it, continually brushing it on during the cooking process... yum!

Enjoy!

Danette

No comments:

Post a Comment